Hi guys, I wanted to cook something healthy as I’ve been eating out a lot lately. I’ve also started eating a 2nd lunch, which isn’t the greatest for being healthy either.
Penne with Broccoli and Nuts: This is an vegetarian pasta, though you can make it vegan by omitting the cheese and anchovies… But that’s half the flavor! The good thing about this dish is it is packed with healthy ingredients.
Pistachios are a good source of protein, B vitamins, calcium and vitamin E. Broccoli is a good source of vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese. Tomatoes are packed with lycopene, vitamin C and vitamin A. Olives have vitamin E. Parmesan has a lot of calcium.
Ingredients: 600g broccoli, stems sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp capers, minced
1/2 cup green olives, minced
1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely cut
500g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 chili pepper, sliced
250g parmesan cheese, grated
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook the broccoli for 5 minutes and set aside. Use the broccoli water to cook your pasta.
- In a large pan, heat up the chili and garlic in olive oil until softened.
- Add in the tomatoes, anchovies, olives, pistachios and capers. Mix well and cook a few minutes.
- Add in the broccoli to the pan, mix well and break up the broccoli into pieces. Mix until uniform.
- Add in the pasta and mix well.
- Add in the parmesan and mix well.