Another soup to warm up the Southern Hemisphere winters. It got down to -3 degrees Celsius out here. I know that may not sound like much, but Australian houses don’t have the same insulation as North American houses I grew up in. So, it really feels much colder over here.
Steak and Veggie soup: Using the ingredients available out here, I figured to make something that is hearty and healthy. One thing abundant here is steak. Pretty much what half the population in this country town eats is steak, so decent quality steak is pretty easy to find.
Ingredients: 1.5kg steak, cubed
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
750g potato, cubed
1 parsnip, diced
1 turnip, diced
8 cups beef stock
800g tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
1. In a large pot, brown the beef with olive oil and set aside.
2. In the same pot, soften up the onion with olive oil.
3. Add in the other veggies and soften.
4. Return the beef into the pot, add the stock, tomatoes and herbs. Bring to a boil and then a low simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Serve with cracked black pepper and crusty bread.