Hi guys, it’s winter in the Land Down Under, so expect a lot of winter-warming recipes for the next couple of months!
Burrito Bowl: I’ve been craving a burrito for the last 2 weeks since I got back from LA. Using the ingredients that I’ve found at the local grocery store here at the small town I’ve been posted to, I’ve managed to create a version that nearly satisfied that craving. Hmm, I guess I’ll have to stalk the taco truck when I get back to my apartment in Sydney in 3 weeks. For this recipe, you can change the amount of jalapeño or cayenne peppers to taste if you want hotter or milder.
Ingredients: 1 capsicum, diced
1 onion, diced
500g lean ground beef
400g corn kernels
400g diced tomato
400g mixed beans
6 jalapeño peppers, sliced
2 cups brown rice
1 tsp cayenne pepper
4 cups chicken stock
shredded cheddar cheese, to taste
1. In a big pot on medium heat, soften the capsicum and onion in olive oil.
2. Add in the ground beef and brown.
3. Add in the corn, tomato, salsa, mixed beans, jalapeño peppers, cayenne pepper and rice. Mix well.
4. Add in the chicken stock and bring to a boil, while mixing.
5. Bring to a simmer and keep mixing until the rice is cooked and the stock has reduced.
6. Serve with cheese garnish on top.